Friday, June 19, 2009

Website Turn-off


Marketing your products online is a sure way of increasing company sales. However why is it that many entrepreneurs do not succeed? Part of this blunder can be blamed on the website. Although it is not written in black and white, there are some things that you need to avoid when you publish your website.

Here are some things that should not be done in your website:

1. Re-type galore! Don’t we just hate it when we type in our email addresses over and over? It is just too tedious if you will ask your customer to type it in for more than two times. Some people really, DO NOT HAVE THE PATIENCE. So let us make the shopping experience easier and forego with this redundancy.

2. Add-this / bookmark option. Some of your visitors would want to get back to your site, but how can they do that if there is no option to do so? It is important that you give them this option. You can place ADD-THIS .

3. Up front registration. Requiring visitors to register is not bad at all, however this should be done after they have read what the site is about. If they would like to browse through the site’s other pages I think that is the time that you ask for a registration.

4. Lack of search option. If your site contains a lot of pages it would be much easier for visitors to browse if there is a search box. Not every one has the luxury of clicking through every page until they find what they are looking for. Make life easier for your visitors and place a search option.

5. Usernames versus emails. Let us admit it, how many times have we forgotten our usernames for various websites? Me personally I do not remember exactly how many times but I know it has been a lot. However if you are going to ask for my email address, that one I know really well. So it would be best if you ask for the customer’s email rather than a username.

6. Unreadable captcha. The captcha works by issuing a challenge to the person or entity attempting to gain access. Captchas should not be too hard, or too difficult to understand, it is just a SIMPLE VISUAL TEST to prove that the user is humnan. Say for example I am trying to access my account with your site, I mistyped the captcha 3 times, personally I will not do it again and just let it go. If I am a potential customer then you would have lost me already because of that.

Maybe you can think of more errors other than what I have pointed out. But these 6 are like the most common I see when I go to a website. Really, if you do this it would be a major turn-off to visitors and potential customers.

So let us avoid these things and increase those online sales now!


No comments:

Post a Comment