Monday, June 1, 2009

Pros and Cons of Alexa Ranking


I’ve done my research on Alexa Rank, which has been the item on most “trafficking” articles. If you’re an affiliate marketer or a blogger this tool should sound familiar to you.

However the question is, “How important is my Alexa Rank?”

I seriously took a break after reading loads of articles on this subject; it was pretty confusing I must admit. There are various reactions on the importance of Alexa Ranking.

Some say that it is important if you aim for bargaining power when it comes to ad pricing. Others say it really doesn’t matter because it is not accurate. So, today we are going to look at both sides of the issue.

Advantage

Alexa can be used as a competitive intelligence tool. You can now observe your competitor’s growth on the web by using the comparison tool Alexa offers. How big is the gap between you and your competitor? Through this tool you can see the extent of your company’s online marketing efforts.

Like what I’ve stated in my previous article, Alexa rank is also used by advertisers to determine whether they would want to advertise on a particular site. Ad networks like AdBrite and Text Link Ads use the Alexa rank of a site.

In my previous article I’ve also mentioned some tips on how you can improve your Alexa rank. So if you are one of those people who make a living out of their blogs, then improving your Alexa rank is indeed important.

Me personally, I feel pretty accomplished if I see people reading stuff that I write (I rely on comments). I mean hey there are a bunch of other articles out there, but they read mine! That alone is fulfilling to me. (“,)

Disadvantage

The main disadvantage of Alexa rank is unreliability. According to my readings, if your site receives plenty of page views per day but the visitors didn’t install the Alexa toolbar then your rank basically doesn’t move. Alexa can track the websites a person visit if they have the toolbar installed. So again, the information is not that accurate.

It is without a doubt valuable; however it is really not necessary to gain advertisers. Why? Simply because some advertisers don’t really care about your site’s rank, some may not even know what Alexa ranking is all about.

So, there you have it two sides of the story for ALEXA. Now which side of the story you’re in is up to you. (^v^)

No comments:

Post a Comment